Ethylene Oxide, one of the world's most important chemicals is used as a key intermediate for ethoxylates and polyols (raw material polyurethanes). It is also the raw material for other derivatives like ethylene glycols, ethanolamines and glycol ethers.
Ethylene oxide is used mainly as a chemical intermediate in the manufacture of textiles, detergents, polyurethane foam, antifreeze, solvents, medicinal, adhesives, and other products. Relatively small amounts of ethylene oxide are used as a fumigant, a sterilant for food (spices) and cosmetics. Additionally, ethylene oxide is widely used to sterilize medical supplies such as bandages, sutures, in hospital sterilization of surgical equipment and plastic devices that cannot be sterilized by steam. Ethylene oxide gas kills bacteria, mold, and fungi, and can therefore be used to sterilize substances that would be damaged by sterilizing techniques such as pasteurization that rely on heat.
Ethylene oxide derivatives have many different uses as follows:
Glycol Ethers & Esters are efficient solvents finding applications in paints, coatings, inks, detergents and brake fluids. They typically allowed the development of water-based paint formulations.
Ethylene Glycols are key components leading to polyesters (fibers, PET, unsaturated) and to polyurethanes through their use in polyols. They are also heavily used as coolants by the automotive industry.
Propylene oxide is chiefly used as a chemical intermediate for several products including propylene glycols, polyethers, polyurethanes and propylamines.
Propylene glycols also have numerous uses, and can be found in cosmetics and medicinal formulations, brake fluid and deicer applications and as chemical intermediates for polyester manufacture.
- Anti-freeze for engines.
- Production of polyethylene terephthalate (polyester fibers, film, and bottles), heat transfer liquids.
- Softeners (cork, glue, casein, and paper)
- Gas drying
- De-icing of aircraft and runways
- Gas drying
- Humectants (moisture-retaining agents)
- Pharmaceutical preparations
- Lubricants (finishing of textiles, ceramics)
- Solvents (paints and drugs)
- Plasticizers (adhesives and printing inks)
Ethylene Glycol Ethers:
- Brake fluids
- Solvents (paints and lacquers)
- Eextractants for SO2, H2S, CO2
- Mercaptans from natural and refinery gas
- Chemicals for textile finishing
- Soaps and detergents
- Natural gas purification
- Gas processing
- Cement additives
- Lubricants to detergents
Ethoxylation products of fatty alcohols, fatty amines, alkyl phenols, cellulose, poly (propylene glycol):
- Detergents and surfactants (nonionic)
- Biodegradable detergents
Kindly visit our commercial website www.gujchem.com